A Story Told Through A Metaphorical Fence (7th Grade in Review)

Hmmm…. This year was……. hmm. I don’t really know what to think. It wasn’t horrible, I mean it could have been worse, definitely not as bad as some made it out to be. But then again it wasn’t sunshine and lollipops either, and as much as I know some English teachers hate it; I’m going to take the fence in this situation. Maybe this fence thought, is not as straight and sturdy as your average-everyday-perfect-family-would-you-please-white-wash-it-ten-times fence, maybe this one is more, dilapidated. The top part sways back and forth, not ever staying in the same place while the bottom is always there never failing: The Little Fence That Could. Anyway, that fence is besides the point (or covering it, depending how you look at it), this school year was… Meh.

Since I can’t really remember the good or the bad to well I’ve decided on chronological order, but don’t worry mostly all of its interesting (if you care, if not I would stop reading now and go learn the ukelele).

Coming back from the summer after sixth grade, which was the easiest grade ever (even easier than kindergarten probably), I felt like I didn’t even have to try to get good grades. What a mistake. After a four day sickness and because of the reason previously stated I started to fall far behind in math (not failing though), and on to the negative side of the fence, which wasn’t fun. Later, that semester I bought some of the best games, Minecraft and Pokemon Y, these helped give me strength to get back on the wibbly-wobbly fence. Finally the day of math midterms arrived and after much hard work, I passed. The semester was finally over, and I took, in my opinion, a well deserved trip to the positive side of the fence.

Next semester things started to get even better; for my D.I. team had taken first place and was moving on to the next level of competition in March. And that’s when things started going south; it seemed there was no end to the waterfall of homework crashing on to my head. I was starting to completely run out of free time, and the games that once were my friends were now distractions. I was far off on the dark side of the fence, lost in a black hole of despair.

But keep in mind there is always a light in the darkness. One good thing continued to happen to me after an other. First I won a place in all three of my UIL events, then my D.I. team advanced to Global Finals, and to top it all off I just recently went to Six Flags where I had a great time even though it rained.

Today I’m here sitting in the middle of positive and negative, and after my experiences on both sides, I’ve decided. Life is a fence, between good and evil, great and not-so-much, positive and negative. Sometimes this fence will lean to one side or an other, maybe this fence will stand tall maybe it won’t. Occasionally this fence will have gates that let people in or shut them out. This metaphorical fence is made out of posts, each marking memories and happenings, adding new ones as time goes on. Until finally, something happens to this fence, a car crashes into it, it burns, or decays slowly. Ultimately this fence will have to end, hopefully on sunshine and lollipop street, but who knows. The fence builds it’s own path.

My seventh grade year isn’t over yet, and I could still fail my classes, but I’m happy now where I am; in the middle of positive and negative, content, on the top of a really, really, big fence.

1 thought on “A Story Told Through A Metaphorical Fence (7th Grade in Review)